Monday, July 9, 2007

Event....Full or Less

Someone once said "lead an eventful life".... I don't know if it can be otherwise. One more year passed by when I celebrated my nth birthday yesterday. It was a slow sunday and I woke up to a lovely bouquet of flowers in front of me. It was from office. A gesture even a professional cribber like me had to admire. There was nothing much in planned for the day since I am still searching for a reason as to why we celebrate birthdays in the first place. In spite of all the romanticism associated with birthdays, am still not sure what is the big achievment in being born. I guess its all the other things we achieve in life which makes our b'days so special for the simple reason that none of it would have otherwise happened.
During the course of the day all I did was answer some hundred telephone calls and replied to a host of messages. Started thinking somewhere along the way that what is it that I did or has happened around me in one year's time. Apart from parting ways with my ex organization and leaving the organization that I went to, could not remember anything significant. A little deeper introspection revealed a few other things like buying a few gizzmos, visiting at least 6 different places around delhi and trying out some "new to me" joints.
However, when I turned my attention to what has happened around me, here is what I saw; HSS got sold for the 3rd time, Raman Roy opened his fourth BPO, Quatrro. Roger Federer won the Wimbledon for the 5th time in a row defeating Raphael Nadal. A blueline delhi bus ran over a child for the 11th time. Kolkata got flodded by pre-monsoon rains for the 200th time in a row and the authorities were taken by surprise for the 200th time in a row. There were some first timers as well. Lalu Yadav took an IIM class for the first time. The "elite" political circle of this country decided to elect a women as the president for the first time among others. I must say that it was an eventful birthday for me.

5 comments:

Subhadip said...

I don't know why people celebrate birthdays either. That's why I didn't call or SMS you. Now, the fact... I forgot. In spite of reminders on Orkut, I forgot. So belated happy birthday to you.

I like the part about what has happened in the last one year... truly cynical / sarcastic views.

Sanjit said...

Sorry pal, couldn't wish u on your B'day. But as they say better late dan nvr.

"Belated Happy B'Day"

2 Questions...
When is the party dude???
What's ur age now?

Aro said...

Belated indeed.....

Happy birthday....

Always admired your cynical/sarcastic views.....you are reaching new levels now.....

IG said...

@Subho
It makes perfect sense to wish someone a belated Happy B'Day... as one of my wise friend says..."Hole Bolish".

@Sanjit
The answers....
At yor place whenever you are free (of course on a weekend)
I am now officially a pre-historic or Jurassic creature... just turned 37.....

@Aro
MNCs nowadays are paying huge dough to hire people just to criticize every department so to increase efficiency. Am eyeing that job... lol

Arobindo said...

IG...you don't need to you are by far the best...even taking into account both shilpee and abhimanyu...